AlmaLinks Tel Aviv chapter hosted founder of Zoran and a global leader in consumer electronics, Dr. Levy Gerzberg, to share his story with the AlmaLinks community. Dr. Gerzberg was elected to the Consumer Electronic (CE) Hall of Fame alongside with people like Steve Jobs – Founder of Apple, Irwing Jacobs – Founder of Qualcomm and Ray Dolby – Founder of Dolby Digital. In his presentation, he focused on a few main concepts that he believed helped him excel in the industry:
- Levy is a great believer in Integration of disciplines: hiring people of different expertise and talents.
- Levy made sure that Zoran was very global and was a multicultural organization in over 10 countries (employees), ultimately connecting the company to thousands of people all over the world.
- It is important to ask these questions every day: “What did you learn today?” and “What did you teach today?”
- Levy had made it a rule that Zoran would always employ students because they have the most creativity, innovative thinking, and a potential desire for growth
- You should create awareness and support (about yourself) along the entire food-chain: end-2-end. For example, in the case of Zoran, while selling to equipment manufacturers, he made sure that Studios in Hollywood (top of the food-chain) and Retail companies were aware of Zoran’s products and actually preferred/promoted it.
- Zoran acquired 8 companies, half of whom turned out to be very successful, as the other half only partially met the expectations.
- Zoran has pioneered its focused markets where it achieved significant market share and growth.